Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Great Blue Heron afternoon

Great Blue HeronGreat Blue Heron, Jackson Bottom Wetlands, Hillsboro, Oregon on 4 November 2009 by Greg Gillson.

 

The low golden afternoon light last week was good for this Great Blue Heron at Jackson Bottom. After I finished Lunch With The Birds I hiked out into the wetlands to see if I could find the Northern Shrike reported from the previous day. I didn't find the shrike, a rare winter visitor, but this heron provided a consolation prize.

3 comments:

  1. Greg, I frequently hike around Summerlake in Beaverton and enjoy the many species of birds and other wildlife.I have noticed two blue Herons living at the lake and have been amazed at their grace in flying. Today I came upon a (to me) huge blue heron near Murray Hill at Scholls Ferry and Murray Blvd.This was the biggest bird I've ever seen.I would say about five feet tall. Is this the same species as the other Herons at summerlake? Or is this an adult of the same species? When it took off I couldn't believe it's wing span and that it actually could fly.I moved here recently from Arizona so there is a lot of wild life here I've never seen before. Thanks Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art, there is some variation between sexes, and just variation overall. But we're only talking of an inch or two, probably nothing you'd notice even with birds side-by-side. Birds west of the Cascades average darker-colored than birds east of the Cascades and have wings that average two inches longer--at least according to the 1940 book "Birds of Oregon" by Gabrielson and Jewett.

    ReplyDelete