Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Belted Kingfisher

Belted KingfisherBelted Kingfisher, Beaverton, Oregon, 9 December 2011 by Greg Gillson.

 

I've tried before to take photos of kingfishers hovering and diving and fishing--all without success. This photo, my best yet of this action, was a quick shot for "practice." Five seconds before I depressed the shutter I didn't even know I was going to take this photo!

You may wish to view a previous post about this species in At the pond... Belted Kingfisher.

6 comments:

  1. Great capture. I have yet to get a good shot of these guys, too quick and too skittish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shot. I know how hard it is to capture these birds in pixels! I saw one last week as it flew into a nearby tree at a lake where I was birding. I took some photos of it as it rattled and fluffed but I know the bird will be little more than a spec in the middle of the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Folks,
    Just surfing by and noticed the great kingfisher shots.

    Google "kingfisher fish tank" for a cool way to stage a kingfisher both diving towards a meal AND taking photos of the kingfisher under water. Way cool, inexpensive and you will have people scratching their heads dying to know how you did it! Someone once explained this simple set up to me so I am just passing on the kindness.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think many people would be appalled at the technique of placing a fish tank out and taking photos of a kingfisher diving into it. It seems very hazardous to the bird and violates the ethics of birding and bird photography--not to harm the bird. I wouldn't want to see this used very widely.

      Delete