Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What do I have in common with Spiderman?

Myrtle WarblerMyrtle Warbler, Oregon, 29 April 2011 by Greg Gillson.

 

Blank stares.

I might as well as have been speaking a foreign language. Perhaps I was.

This birding couple was looking at a dozen or so warblers flitting about in the oak tree. They were obviously not just "eagle watchers." They were birders.

The birds were all singing the same sweet rolling song: weevee-weevee-weevee-weevee-swee-swee-swee-swee.

Wanting to be friendly I approached this birding couple.

It was a simple enough statement. I said, "All I hear are Myrtle Warblers."

Then I got those blank stares.

"Myrtle Warblers. You know, the white-throated form of Yellow-rumped Warblers?"

"Oh," they said. And then to themselves, "Butter-butts."

As they turned and walked quickly away they said, "We don't identify birds by song." Was that a disdainful tone? I must be mistaken.

Why do I feel like Peter Parker?

Peter Parker: Some spiders change colors to blend into their environment. It's a defense mechanism.
Harry Osborn: Peter, what possibly makes you think I would want to know that?
Peter Parker: Who wouldn't?
- - - - - - -
Spiderman (2002)


Who wouldn't want to know every field identifiable form of bird?

Who wouldn't want to learn to identify birds by ear?

So, what do I have in common with Spiderman? Only Peter Parker.

Move over Peter Parker. Make room for another nerd.

5 comments:

  1. Great post Greg! It made my chuckle.

    I guess every body just enjoys birding in their own way. I couldn't tell a Myrtle from an Audubon Y-R Warlber yet, but then again I've never taken the time to study the sound difference either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your usual Friday posts for the photos and educational info. It was nice to see your humorous side. Trying to remember if my husband and I might have met you while gazing up into an Oak tree recently. Nope. Glad it wasn't us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If a fellow birder loves a bird, enjoys watching the bird, but calls him butter-butt and doesn't discern songs/calls, does that make him less of a birder? Does it make you a nerd that you do? (BTW, I love the nerd that I am married to, and he doesn't recognize one bird from another at all, and only cares that I love watching them!) I think it just means you are both bird-lovers with different styles and tastes. How dull it would be if we were all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert, Shelly, Dawn. Thanks for your comments.

    Nope, Shelly, it's not them--it's me! I get so enthused that I think everyone else is interested in every minutiae too. In this post I laugh at myself, not others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, it does take all kinds...butter-butts?! It sounds like they don't ID birds by any means, song or field guide! Very nice shot of 'Mr. Myrtle' anyway!

    ReplyDelete